Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"Let's Start at the Very Beginning....."

I'm kind of going backwards - but I wanted to tell about our journey from the beginning. It took Don and I six years to have kids. We finally found out we were going to have a baby and God really knew what he was doing. (Duh!) We both wanted for me to be home with our children if/when we had them, but we were not really able to afford it until this time - so perfect. However, I had found a job that I loved, teaching ELL at GISH. Something about teaching kids that needed and really wanted to be taught (most of the time) was VERY rewarding!! Not to mention, so many of these kids came from such poor countries/villages, as teachers we were constantly challenged to give these students a purpose and reason to actually have dreams of what they could become! I digress.....

So, now the plans were for me to be a full time mom/wife and live the dream. The BEST summer of my life so far.....Don was the BEST first time dad-to-be. I was so spoiled and felt so good about everything, except when I had food poisoning, oh and Bells Palsy. October came and so did Samuel Joseph on October 9th. He was a couple weeks early and when he was born I barely got to hold him due to the fact he could not maintain his own oxygen levels. Needless to say the first three days were VERY rough on all of us in a nutshell. I felt I wasn't really able to bond with my new baby since he was in NICU the whole time. I only got to hold him with tubes attached when I fed him.

We then brought our Samuel home and were so excited to get to know him. Don was able to stay home for about a week and then he was on the road again. (Sorry if that tune is stuck in your head now -hahahahaha!!) Let the fun begin.

Sam cried/screamed almost every waking moment. I cried a lot. This was supposed to be a time of showing off your new baby, WANTING people to come visit, take him places, etc. None of this was really possible for us. It was stressful anytime people wanted to come over, unless he was sleeping. Don't get me wrong, we wanted family and friends around, but for uncontrollable cirumstances, it just wasn't enjoyable! We took him to the hospital for x-rays to see if he had acid reflux - what a joke. Most babies do and from what I understand, they grow out of it as they develop. Medicines did nothing, doctors did nothing except just stand there and look at me during appointments as I'm crying out for help - mind you, with a screaming baby in my arms!! They would just keep talking to me like there was NO baby in the room. I hated every moment and gave up on 'experts'!! Even up until this past January, everything was OUR fault as parents with regards to every 'issue' I would bring up. I'd mention his eating problems every appointment; bowels; sleep; advanced speech; etc. and NOTHING!! Connect the dots - or do these 'experts' not have the proper dots to connect? I wonder......I'm hoping to get through to doctors to LISTEN to their patients with regards to their children and be a little more perceptive. Not sure how.

I took matters into my own hands at the January appointment and looked the doctor straight in the eye and asked, "Would you please recommend a Behavior Therapist in the area!" And with that - I'll say, "To Be Continued...."

No comments:

Post a Comment