Tuesday, April 19, 2011

WOW! Conference, Amazing People, and Silly Sayings

Okay - John Deere Green again.  It's been a month - but I've thought about writing everyday - am tired so will probably forget something but I guess I can always add it:-) 

First - this past weekend I was taking a drink of lemon water out of a 64 oz. jug type thing from out of the fridge - the rest of the family was sitting at the table and I hear "Woa - don't drink out of that you hippie!" - Yep - Samuel!  We all died laughing!!  I said - "WHAT - where did you hear that???"  The old man in "Up" I guess......go figure! 

Just when we were thinking he was doing soooo great at pretend-play/imagination - he throws me for a loop.  We had the neighbor kids over - the boy is a little older than Sam and the girl is a little older than Nasya.  Perfect!  We were downstairs and the neighbor kids were pretending that Sam's tool bench was an ice cream stand - Sam freaked!!  If I had not been right there - he would have for sure yelled in their faces again and again that it's NOT an ice cream stand IT'S a TOOL BENCH!!!  And he might have even pushed them away or gotten aggressive with the situation.  Today he said that Petey (our cat) could not be a princess....(Let me explain....Sya had a princess wand and she was going around tapping us and making us a princess) Well - Petey could not be a princess because he did not have a crown 'silly'; and Sam got VERY angry when Sya tried to make him a princess....I suppose most big brothers would not like that:-)

I went to an Autism Spectrum Disorder Convention a couple weeks ago - yes two nights of uninterrupted sleep in a quiet hotel room (hmmm, something my hubby gets quite often and needs to appreciate it:-)) - but for some reason I was completely exhausted when I got home!!   Probably because we went non-stop the whole time we were there!!!  7:30AM until 8:45pm - LONG days!  So - the first day starts off with a nationally known 'Social Skills' speaker/therapist and we are in the front seats (not by choice - that's all that was left:-))  She was talking about how 'neurotypical' people think about how other's think about them.  Read it again - it makes sense and is something that Asperger's people REALLY struggle with!!  Anyway - there are 800+ people at this conference - and as she is explaining this she steps down off the stage and quickly walks directly in front of - WHO???  ME!  She proceeds to talk to everyone about what everyone is thinking - "What is she doing?" Where is she going?"  "How do I look?" etc.  Then she says, "There is ONE person in this room who is REALLY panicking right now!!" - yep - ME!  She proceeds to walk back to the stage and as my heart is pounding - I decide to check my phone for a possible text from my hubby saying "Good Morning Lover" or something like that.......Which brings me to Amazing People....

My text actually read:  "Jason got Samuel an iPad!"  I was in total shock - and I started getting teary-eyed.  Suddenly I didn't hear a thing this fantastic speaker was saying - and was trying to figure out how to fit in the session about iPads!  There were 4 different sessions I wanted to go to during that time - but I made a bee-line for the iPad!  I was staring at the people who had one to see what they had on theirs - It was helpful somewhat - I did get a great handout that had top education Apps.....we are still finding out it's potential and I am sure we will be for quite some time. 

I do wish we could have held on to the iPad before introducing it to Sam - we needed/need to come up with a 'routine' or more of a structured plan - we will have to backtrack - right now he thinks its' primary use is for 'incentive' for him to play games.  I knew this would be an issue - For example:  he knows he gets iPad time in the afternoon when Sya is sleeping - he gets 20 minutes as long as he has not been naughty.  He loses 2 minutes for bad words; not sharing; 5 minutes for hitting/pinching; etc.  He can also earn them back - or earn extra if he has been exceptionally good!!  HOWEVER - there is a much bigger picture here - I have slowly started to prep him for this - The primary purpose of us wanting an iPad was  - using Apps that teach social skills - sharing, not getting in peoples faces, not hitting, lowering his voice, how to go places, turn taking, picture schedules, etc.  I found a free App where you can choose - "How To Go To a Grocery Store"  "How to Go to the Doctor"  "How to Behave Getting a Haircut" etc.  Things we all take for granted - but Sam struggles with big time!   He is VERY possessive and when he thinks something is HIS - no one else can touch it - he will hoard/hide/and guard like crazy.  So - we now are working on that aspect.....will keep you posted. 

Nasya - she is getting sooooo big!!   Now we hear her saying sassy things like - "Cool _____"  "Wait a second!"  "Mmmm, delitious!"  "I all better now" (just so she can go outside or bye bye) and she has decided on "Sammy" as her name for her brother:-)  I didn't think he'd go for that - but he said it was fine:-)  There is more to tell - but I have nothing left at the moment - going to bed......

No comments:

Post a Comment