Monday, July 5, 2010

Overall - pretty good!

Hey - things have been pretty good around here. Of course we've had a few tantrums, breakdowns, etc. But the 'waking up' fits have really calmed down significantly! We go in spurts around here. I sure hope they never return, however we are always prepared, actually you can never be prepared for these......

Now we are dealing with horrible sleep in general. He absolutely won't go to bed at night. He gets up and up and up and up and has every excuse in the book no matter how 'hard' we discipline or deal with it. He has to be hugged again; he has to have his covers fixed; he has to have an eskimo kiss; he thinks he needs to rock-a-bye again, etc. It is now 10:45 and he's been 'in bed' since 9:15 - but not really.......Daddy is now dealing with him and he'll probably yell for me next. Yes, we've read Dobson, etc. talking about the tough way to handle this situation. We've tried. We've tried ignoring, spanking and so on. I don't know what to think of spanking and other disciplines with Sam - I don't know if he understands. Craig Kendall (author) and others have said that spanking doesn't do anything for AS kids. Still searching for answers......and probably always will be. My biggest concern right now is Sam getting up on time for Pre-School which starts in August. Right now we can't even be on time for daycare two mornings a week. If we can't get him to go to bed decent, we can't expect him to wake up decent! Vicious circle. If you have answers or GREAT ideas - do tell. Good night (I hope):-)

2 comments:

  1. Brandi,
    I hope your post are helping you a little. I studied about Asperger's a little bit in school, but I have no idea what it is like to live with it everyday. You are an amazing mom and your blog shows how much you love your familiy. I am just starting to stay home with my 2 kids and it IS hard work. Keep it up! The Lord is your STRENGH!
    Jordon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jordan,
    You are awesome!! Thanks so much for reading:-) Love the encouragement also - write anytime via FB, email, here, anywhere - love the ADULT 'chat':-)

    ReplyDelete