Monday, September 13, 2010

Parenthood.....

Well, it's time once again for the show "Parenthood" - good, well written show and you can't go wrong with Craig T. Nelson.....  I mention this show because one of the story lines has to do with a family that has a middle school son, Max, who has Asperger's. 

Ironically - when we were discovering that our son quite possibly had Asperger Syndrome - this show was in it's first year on air.  EVERYONE we told about Sam and our possible diagnosis - told me to watch this show - if only I had a dollar for each time!:-) 

I only saw the second half of the season, but it seemed the story line was a bit watered down regarding what a family endures with Asperger's.  If you've met one kid with Asperger's, you've only met ONE kid with Asperger's.  NO two are a like - some are high functioning (large vocabulary and use of words/sentences), some are low functioning (little to no vocabulary), some have many sensory issues while some have few, some have no desire for socializing, some lack social skills - like Sam and his lack of understanding personal space and taking turns in conversation.  It is such a complex condition - I think we will always be learning something new.  

Anyway, Tuesday evenings are the night to watch the show if you are interested......who knows what we'll learn about Max this year!?  

1 comment:

  1. Jon and I love this show. It is a great show. I think of you guys and Sam when I watch it. I am half done with the book. It is taking me awhile. I wish I could pick it up more often than I do. Looking forward to seeing you guys for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete