Monday, February 14, 2011

The Perfect Storm

Yes - if you've seen the movie, 'The Perfect Storm' is not a good thing.  Last week Sam and I had one of those days:-(  I am not proud to say.  We had all been sick, very tired, some female things got in the way (grrrrr) and we had a bit of an explosive day.  I cried, he cried, I said I was sorry, he said he was sorry and that I was his princess mommy - he says that a lot.  I won't go into detail much more .......so now for more recent news since I'm too tired to remember details.....

Today - we had a brief version of the above mentioned.  He returned to school after having not been there for a while as mentioned in yesterday's blog.  I was expecting a very happy Sam when he got off the bus - NOPE!  Lyla - the driver, looked at me and said......don't talk to him today!  I knew what that meant - it was one of those days where he covers his ears (as he did before he left this morning) and says "I wish everybody would just shut their mouths and stop talking!"  Or some blunt version of that.  He NEVER wants to answer questions about school especially right after he gets home.  So - I give him his space and kind of feel out his mood. 

When the bus arrived - I was in the middle of finishing up belated Valentines to get out to the mailbox - so I had a nice mess on the counter.  I ask him if I can make him a PBJ......here we go.  I have not figured out he is in a demanding, short-fused mood!!  This is not good.  He demands Orange Juice and orange crackers.  The demanding/yelling does not stop - typical.  There are just some days where we do not push the 'when you are calm' or 'ask the question nicely' - I knew that if I did this - it would get violent.  It was all I could do to keep him contained while I went to the cupboard and to the fridge.  He NEVER understands that these things take time - I cannot just snap my fingers and there it is.  YES typical kid - but NOT typical reactions as we see with him - the yelling continues.  I get the 'goods' to him and he demands to rock (VERY prominent again the last month or two!! and again NEVER fast enough!!!) I tell him I really have to go to the bathroom (I had to go to the bathroom since before the bus came but I didn't want the bus to be waiting on me) and then I'll rock him.  You know where this is going.....

He's on the kitchen floor yelling, hitting, calling me all kinds of names (moron mommy; idiot; I hate your heart; etc.) yes these things hurt and these times are difficult but I have to tell myself it will subside.  He then goes to the living room and is banging the easel against the wall; comes back into the kitchen and starts grabbing my cards/boxes and throwing them....It's so difficult maintaining my composure and not festering with anger, especially when I am lacking so much sleep and not feeling the greatest.  After about ten minutes of dealing and trying to calm him - he finally went into the living room and sat in the recliner and waited - I FINALLY got to 'go'!!!!!  By the time I came out - he was calm and in his beanbag chair watching a new pirate cartoon - he was not the lovey angel he can be.  Wanting hugs, kisses, telling me he loves me.  I still do not understand and probably never will - his sincerity in saying these things is so warming - it almost makes up for what we have to live with. 

On a good note - God gave Sam the perfect sister!  When I am home alone and trying to get them both to bed - I rock both of them knowing Sam will fall asleep first.  When he does - Sya knows I'll ask her to go sit on her beanbag and wait for mommy to put Sam to bed.  She willingly does - and waits so sweetly and patiently.  She is a super sister - he adores her:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment